Sunday, February 17, 2013


The quiet is almost surreal.  Jim, Lilly and Jack set off for Villanova at 9am on Friday morning to visit Meme and Pop and do some car shopping.  At first, being home by myself just felt like a long nap time.  As the quiet progressed well into the dinner/bed time hours, the realization of a weekend to myself took shape.  I sat down and enjoyed my tea and coffee while it was hot, rather than heating it up in the microwave several times, before giving up and pouring it out.  I put my plate in the dishwasher after lunch--and that was it.  There was no other cleaning up to be done.  I haven't picked up a single toy since Friday morning.  I went to a doctor's appointment by myself--and actually hoped for a long wait so I could sit and read, instead of convincing Jack that his stroller is a good place to sit in the waiting room while trying to answer all of Lilly's questions pertaining to the posters of pregnant women and "the birth process" on the walls.  Of course, they took me right in--even before my scheduled appointment time.  I wandered around Trader Joe's, buying fresh fruit and veggies for my new Vitamix, resisting the urge to narrate my way through the store, as I usually do while shopping with Lilly and Jack.

my first homemade green juice: kale, cucumber, celery, apple & lemon.  amazing.
I got out all the tiny newborn clothes, and took my time washing, drying and folding them.  I washed baby blankets and finished knitting little hospital hats.  I took out my childbirth books and reminded myself what lies ahead (just in case I'd forgotten the last two times, which rest assured, I haven't).  I watched movies in the middle of the day.  When I woke up in the mornings, I made coffee and went back to bed to read, while listening to quiet music.  I went to the gym and to church by myself.  I tutored and went to Starbucks, where I enjoyed a latte and read for awhile.  I cleaned, cleaned and cleaned some more, scrubbing everything I could lie my hands on in our house.

ready to bring home a baby!
the hospital hats
a newborn onesie next to Jack's :) 
Now, it's Sunday evening, and I've had enough of the quiet.  Whereas last week, I didn't feel quite prepared for the baby, I now feel ready for Baby Clark #3's arrival--the baby and I got to spend a lot of time together this weekend.  I felt more kicks and punches in the last couple of days that I've felt the entire pregnancy.  I've always loved being by myself, so I enjoyed these three days, but I'm ready for my family to come home.  I miss Jim and I miss my little ones.  The house is too clean and too quiet.  I'm ready to hear little voices chatting and playing together in their room when they wake up in the morning and I'm ready to spend my evenings with my husband again.  I feel relaxed and refreshed and ready to be a Mum...of (almost) 3 little ones.

Tomorrow morning, Jim is picking up our new car (so we can fit the baby!) and coming home, so I know that by lunch time, our house will be back to normal.  I loved my weekend to myself and appreciated every minute of quiet.  There's not much more I could ask for at 37 weeks pregnant.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Amelia, what a beautiful blog! I can hear my thoughts echoed as I read your words, so we must be related. I really laughed out loud reading, "I sat down and enjoyed my tea and coffee while it was hot, rather than heating it up in the microwave several times, before giving up and pouring it out." That happens at least once a day here! And I've also been researching about vitamixers, omniblenders and so on, before realising we have a perfectly good blender that I should be happy with...for now anyway ;)
    I've asked before but please would you let me know your email and mailing address. My email is
    Lots of love for the amazing weeks ahead. It's hard to imagine each new baby can be so different, so precious and even more amazing, but they manage to be each time. Enjoy these wonderful times as your beautiful family grows!
    Eliza xox